Everyone has their own way of working with their cards and there’s no wrong or right way to use your cards, just do what feels right to you.
But, here are some ideas of things you can do with your cards to help you get a more accurate reading or just connect better with your cards.
Comment below to tell me about what you do to connect with your cards.
Cleansing: Some ways to cleanse your deck before use or when you buy a brand new deck:
- Smoke Cleanse – Focus on cleansing your cards with incense.
- Fire Cleanse – Hold your deck near a candle while focusing on cleansing the deck. (Make sure to use fire safety and common sense. Don’t burn yourself or your cards.)
- Air Cleanse – Some people will blow on their cards to cleanse and remove old energy from the deck.
- Knocking – You can knock on your deck to either wake it up or shake out the old energy. You can use a number of knocks that works for you.
Charging: Charging is like infusing and bringing a certain energy into your cards. Some ways to do this:
- Moon: You can put your cards in your window where it can see the moon on a full moon to charge it with the energy of the full moon.
- Crystals: You can place a crystal on your cards to charge it with the energy of the crystal of your choice. For example, Amethyst for a deeper connection to your intuition.
Meditation / Grounding: For me, this is the most important.
- You can simply take a few minutes to meditate before working with your cards.
- My favorite mediation is from Mat Auryn’s book Psychic Witch. I usually find meditation boring and difficult, but this one is very visual and grounding and works for me. I visualize roots going down from me to the core of the earth, then bringing up white energy from the core of the earth back through me, then visualize connecting beyond earth and to the stars and connecting this energy back to me and the earth’s energy. I take a few minutes to do this, and then I am connected, grounded and ready. I find that I get super accurate readings when I do this before reading.
Music: Personally, I love binaural beats for helping me to focus. I use it more often when typing out a tarot reading than making a video though. Something like this on youtube.
Respect: There are two really important ways to show respect to your deck.
- During reading – In my opinion, it’s disrespectful to your deck to not trust it. You show your deck that you don’t trust it by putting cards back into the deck after you’ve pulled one – basically saying you don’t like the card or you don’t want to hear the truth. So, as long as you’re connected to your deck, always trust the cards that your deck is giving you.
- After reading – Show respect to your deck by thanking it for giving you clarity or honesty, or whatever you want to thank it for. Give your cards gratitude for helping you.